Shortly after graduating in translation in 1991, I was hired by Management System Solutions, a local IBM partner in Barcelona. I worked at MSS for 8 years (5 years as a full-time translator and 3 years as a localization project manager). During this time, I also performed 8 software tests of IBM products in different IBM labs in the United States. This gave me a great opportunity to work closely with the developers.
Eight years later, it was time for me to seek new horizons and I decided to offer translation & localization services as a freelancer. All my previous knowledge of IBM tools and processes made my life easier in the outside world. A website and the magic of Google did the rest, and soon my first clients were requesting my services. By this time, I had also started working as a lecturer in a master's degree program at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
My clients tell me that I am a skilled and attentive translator who is very easy to work with. I am grateful for their trust and for having a rewarding career that allows me to learn something new every day.
02. Localization Project Manager
I worked as a localization project manager at MSS from 1997 to 2000. My responsibilities and accomplishments during this time included:
- QA Lead for the Spanish team
- Managed a team of on-site translators/specialists and over 50 freelance translators
- Account Manager for INT'L.com (a world leader in global localization services)
- Managed over 30 large translation projects
- Featured project: 700,000 words completed in 60 days (for a major US chip manufacturer)
- Recruited over 80 graduate translators
- Conducted 7 technical training courses (15 hours each) for recruited translators, focused on computer-aided translation tools and software localization tasks.
03. IBM Software Tester
I performed 8 product verification tests at several IBM labs in the US, as shown in the table below. Focusing on both linguistic and functional issues, my responsibilities included:
- Ensuring the overall functionality of the software application
- Localizing panels, dialogs, menus and help files
- Ensuring consistency between the software and help files
- Managing changes and updates
- Product sign-off.
|IBM Communications Manager||Linguistic||04/22/94 to 05/06/94||Raleigh (NC)|
|IBM ServerGuide||Functional & Linguistic||08/05/94 to 08/20/94||Boca Raton (FL)|
|IBM ServerGuide II||Functional & Linguistic||05/01/95 to 05/12/95||Raleigh (NC)|
|IBM Communications Server||Linguistic||08/21/95 to 09/14/95||Raleigh (NC)|
|IBM ThinkPad Enhanced||Functional & Linguistic||02/05/96 to 02/15/96||Raleigh (NC)|
|IBM DSServer||Linguistic||06/03/96 to 07/03/96||Austin (TX)|
|IBM eNetwork ComSuite (v32-bit)||Linguistic||05/02/97 to 06/30/97||N. Andover (MA)|
|IBM eNetwork ComSuite (v16-bit)||Linguistic||08/01/97 to 09/02/97||N. Andover (MA)|
04. Lecturer in a Master's Degree Program
I worked as a lecturer in the "Master's Degree in Tradumatics: Translation Technologies" from 2002 to 2017. This master's degree program organized by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Spain) brings the IT world to translation professionals. Previously, I had also worked as a lecturer in the former "Postgraduate in Tradumàtica: New Translation Technologies" at the same university (1999-2001).
As a specialist in translation and localization, I have been invited to give other courses and lectures in different companies, associations and universities, such as the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya and the Universitat Jaume I de Castelló.
05. University Degree in Translation
Degree in Translation from English and Russian into Spanish (Faculty of Translation and Interpretation of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain, 1987-1991).
Postgraduate studies in Russian Language and Literature (Pushkin Institute, Moscow, 1990-1991).
Since 2003, I work with a highly-qualified partner translator, Núria Casasayas. This allows me to offer my clients a number of advantages:
- All translations are checked by a second translator
- We can double our regular production capacity
- Each of us has access to a qualified second opinion
- We can back each other up when needed.
At a Glance
- 32 years of experience in the translation and localization industry: 29 years as a translator and 3 years as a localization project manager.
- Over 5,000 successfully completed translation and localization projects.
- Over 9 million words translated and/or reviewed for the European or global Spanish market.
- 8 QA software testing projects performed at IBM labs in the United States (1994-1997).