Shortly after receiving my Degree in Translation in 1991, I was hired by Management System Solutions, a local IBM partner in Barcelona. I was employed by MSS for 8 years (5 as a full-time translator, and 3 as a localization project manager). Also during that time, I carried out 8 software tests of IBM products at different IBM laboratories in the United States. This gave me a great opportunity to work closely with the developers!
Eight years later it was time for me to seek new horizons, and I decided to offer translation & localization services as a freelancer. All my previous expertise in IBM tools and procedures made my life easier in the outside world. A website and the Google magic did the rest, and my first clients soon started to request my services. By that time, I had also started to work as a Lecturer in a Master's Degree Program at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona.
My clients say I am a careful translator. I feel grateful for their trust, and fortunate to have a rewarding profession that allows me to keep learning everyday.
02. Localization Project Manager
I worked as a localization project manager for MSS from 1997 to 2000. My responsibilities and achievements during that period include:
- QA Responsible for the Spanish Team
- Managed INT'L.com account (a world-leading company offering global localization services)
- Managed over 30 large translation projects
- Featured project: 700,000 words completed in 60 days (Intel Corporation)
- Performed translator recruitment of over 80 graduate translators
- Conducted 7 technical training courses (15h each) for recruited translators, focused on computer-aided translation tools and tasks involved in software localization
- Managed a number of on-site translators/specialists and over 30 freelance translators.
03. IBM Software Tester
I carried out 8 Product Verification Tests at different IBM laboratories in the USA, as shown in the table below. Both focusing on linguistic and functional issues, my responsibilities included:
- Ensuring overall functionality of the software application
- Localization of panels, dialogs, menus and help files
- Ensuring consistency between software and help files
- Managing changes and updates
- Product sign-off prior to manufacturing.
|IBM Communications Manager||Linguistic||04/22/94 to 05/06/94||Raleigh (NC)|
|IBM ServerGuide||Functional & Linguistic||08/05/94 to 08/20/94||Boca Raton (FL)|
|IBM ServerGuide II||Functional & Linguistic||05/01/95 to 05/12/95||Raleigh (NC)|
|IBM Communications Server||Linguistic||08/21/95 to 09/14/95||Raleigh (NC)|
|IBM ThinkPad Enhanced||Functional & Linguistic||02/05/96 to 02/15/96||Raleigh (NC)|
|IBM DSServer||Linguistic||06/03/96 to 07/03/96||Austin (TX)|
|IBM eNetwork ComSuite (v32-bit)||Linguistic||05/02/97 to 06/30/97||N. Andover (MA)|
|IBM eNetwork ComSuite (v16-bit)||Linguistic||08/01/97 to 09/02/97||N. Andover (MA)|
04. Lecturer in a Master's Degree Program
I worked as a lecturer in the "Màster Tradumàtica: Translation and Localization" from 2002 to 2017. This master's degree program, organized by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Spain), brings the IT world to translation professionals. Previously, I had also collaborated as a lecturer in the former "Postgraduate in Tradumàtica: New Translation Technologies" at the same university (1999-2001).
As a specialist in translation and localization, I have been invited to conduct other courses and presentations in a number of companies, associations and universities, such as the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya and the Universitat Jaume I de Castelló.
05. University Degree in Translation
Degree in Translation from English and Russian into Spanish (Faculty of Translators and Interpreters of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain, 1987-1991).
Postgraduate in Russian Language and Literature (Pushkin Institute, Moscow, 1990-1991).
At a Glance
- 30 years of experience in the traslation and localization industry: 27 years as a full-time translator, plus 3 years as a localization project manager.
- Over 4,300 translation and localization projects successfully completed.
- Over 8 million words translated and/or reviewed for the European or global Spanish market.
- 8 QA software testing projects carried out at IBM labs in the United States (1994-1997).
- I work with a highly-qualified partner translator, meaning we can double average translation capacity while ensuring the highest quality standards.
Since 2003, I work with a highly-qualified partner translator, Núria Casasayas. This allows me to offer a number of key advantages to my clients:
- Translations can be reviewed by a second highly-qualified translator
- Each of us has easy access to a qualified second opinion on any translation issue that may arise
- We can offer twice the translation capacity of a regular freelance translator
- We can backup each other when needed.